Thursday, March 6, 2014

When In Rome

“Spring break” came a little early here. We had our first week break this past week and of course spent it traveling. If any of you have me on facebook or even follow me on Instagram, I am sure you were quiet ready for me to get back to Limoges and stop with all the pictures, but I just couldn’t help myself! We had an amazing week!
The first few days, we spent them around Limoges, checking out the fine arts museum and the gardens and really just enjoying the town. I am not a huge art lover, but the second floor of this museum really stole my heart! There were so many absolutely beautiful paintings. I even got the names of a few of my faves. My number one artist was Elie Lascaux! The details in his paintings are amazing. Fun fact of the day, he was born in Limoges! A few others were Paul Ranson and Suzanne Valadon. If you ever get a chance, definitely look them up! Helpful hint though, Suzanne Valadon’s Blue Room is the one I saw that I fell in love with and I would stick to googling that!  Out behind the museum is a beautiful garden. Nice view of the city and really just made you feel so relaxed. People were out on the benches reading and have picnics, it really is impossible to not be at peace there!
Now for the interesting part! Wednesday, we took off to Rome! Longest day of travelling and worth every single second of it! Rome is amazing! We didn’t get there until late that night but Thursday we were up and ready to go! Unfortunately for us, we spent the first few hours of our day completely lost! I think it is safe to say that the entire day we were pretty much lost. But that didn’t stop us. We found our way to the Vatican and roamed through various parts. We went through St Peter’s Basilica first. The amount of detail and art in one place is truly amazing! Everything is so grand and beautiful. The Roman’s spared no detail! After a few hours in there, we went on to The Vatican Museum. Let me just say that if you are ever going, do it the other way around! The museum is huge and honestly absolutely amazing and we spent so much time in the basilica that we missed out on a few things in the museum because we were just so exhausted. But we still hit the highlights and spent plenty of time in those areas. For me, looking at The School of Athens was one of my tops moments. I spent tons of money taking a class at Tech to learn about all of these things and I remember seeing all of the famous art works in the Vatican Museum in this class and even thinkings “yeah yeah yeah that will never apply to me” and there I was standing in front of this magnificent piece of art and suddenly that class I took seemed so worth it! Then there was the Sistine Chapel. There are not enough words to describe the feeling in that room. I could stay in there for hours just admiring everything. There is not an inch of that room that isn’t painted I don’t think. It was everything, and so much more honestly, than people say it is! Lucky us, the rest of our time it was raining, but that didn’t stop us. We enjoyed the Coliseum and even got to actually sit in some of the parts of it. My favorite part of the entire trip was definitely the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. That alone is a full days’ worth of exploring! Once again, everything was so grand and just mind blowing that people built these things so long ago and here they still are.
We made it our goal to go to a different restaurant every day and try the pasta. For a girl who eats nothing but pasta typically, I was in heaven!! Our last night there, we stumbled upon this little restaurant near the Spanish steps and decided to just go on in. Best decision we ever made! Homemade ravioli, great Italian wine, homemade tiramisu, and of course a nice latte to finish off our meal. I am pretty sure I ate enough in those few days to last me a lifetime! But like they say, when in Rome right?! This honestly isn’t going to do Rome justice, but it was a nice start and a great first trip! I am already looking forward to the next! If anyone has any suggestions on places to go or things to do, I would really love to hear them! Until next time!

xoxo










No comments:

Post a Comment